Thursday 17 January 2013

Hiya!!!

Photographs courtesy of Toby Lea.

Thanks for visiting. I've been putting off writing this opening post - oh what to say?! ...Well, I thought I'd start by telling you a bit about Keflüti and the person behind it.

ABOUT
Kefluti is my online craft venture, selling handbags, coin purses, make-up bags, mobile phone covers, snoods, jewellery rolls and cushions; amongst other things... all designed and handmade/hand knit by me. ‘Who’s me?’ I hear you ask. Well, my name is Abby and I’m a 25-year-old textile artist/designer from Stafford, England. I'm a trained graphic designer, but gave this up to become a secondary school supply teacher-which I love. What’s more, working for an agency allows me to choose the hours I work, giving me the time to make for and run Keflüti. As you may have surmised, my passion actually lies in textiles rather than graphics. I studied a City and Guilds qualification in machine embroidery and later a foundation diploma in textiles at Stafford College, but the rest I’ve learnt from either my Mum, from workshops or from books/play.

INSPIRATION 
I began designing my own handbags a few years ago, when I couldn't find the type of bag I was after on the high street. I received compliments from my friends, quickly followed by orders... and the rest, as they say, is history! 

I tend to design based on my and my friend's needs, e.g. jewellery rolls and iPhone covers. I take my inspiration from art, design, crafts, architecture, travel, nature and pattern.

HOBBIES
For me, crafts are my hobby. Besides those items I make for Keflüti, I knit, sew-both by hand and machine, embroider, print, felt, make paper and journal - combining photography, design and craft in a mixed media fashion. I visit as many exhibitions, both locally and nationally as I can manage, finding them a great source of not only inspiration, but also motivation. 

Whilst I'm crafting, I listen to the radio, to music (more often than not singing along!), or the television. Alternatively, I’m taking days out with my boyfriend, to the seaside, to various parks, gardens and castles or to galleries (since he too is a graphic designer and a budding photographer). Besides all of that, if I find myself with any free time, I can be found gardening, decorating, or taking city breaks abroad.

BLOG/SOCIAL MEDIA
It is my aim to post on here at least once a week (so feel free to give me a virtual kick up the bum if I'm slacking!), in order to give you an insight into what I've been up to, whether it be making for/running Kefluti; my own work; or telling you about an exhibition I been to see - an online studio-diary of sorts if you like. What’s more, I’ll be telling you about techniques that I'm trying out, what I've been reading and whom I've been following (blog-wise, rather than stalker!).

You can also keep up to date with goings-on by visiting my Facebook page, or by following '@Kefluti' on Twitter.

Well I think that's about all from me, for now. If you'd like to know more, then why not take a look around my website. I’m in the process of updating it - so expect more in the coming months; or alternatively drop me a line - either by leaving a comment on here, or through kefluti.com.

Thanks for reading - I'm looking forward to sharing my craftiness and getting to know you!

Abby x

No comments:

Post a Comment